I’m something of a movie geek/fanatic. I like old films and new films, popular films and cult films. I like movies about aliens, vigilantes, Uganda, school bus accidents, mismatched couples, make-believe worlds, teenage angst, redemption, bank robbers, serial killers, dream heists, the mob, wolves, and just about everything in between. I like dark and gritty action films, romantic comedies, satires, period dramas, zombie flicks and kid’s movies.
Now, don’t get me wrong. There are plenty of movies I LOATHE, but I’m not one to spend lots of time blogging or writing about things I hate (largely because there are others who do it so much better than I do…I’m looking at you, Alan Edwards…). I do tend to over-analyze films and tear them apart, looking for intrinsic meaning and allegory where, often, I’m sure no such was intended.
But that’s beside the point.
I love movies. So rather than go off at length about the movies I love or why, I thought I’d just give you 50 of my randomly selected favorite movie lines of all time. Most of them are funny, some are poignant, and they come from a wide array or films well known ans lesser known that I love. Enjoy!
2) “He must have thought it was white boy day. It ain’t white boy day, is it?” – Drexl (Gary Oldman), True Romance
3) “Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!” – the French knight (John Cleese), Monty’s Python Quest for the Holy Grail
4) “May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined!” – Dr. Emilio Lazardo (John Lithgow), The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension
5) “That boy’s one mean motherfucker!” – Elderly Lady, The Running Man
7) “We’ve come for your daughter, Chuck.” – Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton), Beetlejuice
8) “Tracy did mention we shouldn’t let him gamble. Or drink too much.” “Jesus, he’s like a gremlin. Comes with instructions and shit.” – Doug (Justin Bartha) and Phil (Bradley Cooper), The Hangover
9) “Wake up. Time to die.” – Leon (Brion James), Blade Runner
10) “There may be many reasons not to kill you, but among them is not that you’ll be missed by NASA.” – Nathan (Brian Cox), The Long Kiss Goodnight
12) “Did they look like psychos, is that what they looked like? They were vampires! Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them – I don’t give a fuck how crazy they are!” – Seth Gecko (George Clooney), From Dusk Til Dawn
13) “Are you deaf, my good man? I. Kill. Vampires.” – Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowell), Fright Night
15) “[I'm the] Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you.” – Vincent Coccotti (Christopher Walken), True Romance
16) “Look at you…ship all banged up!” – Capt. Stephen Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
17) “THIS is what a real moustache looks like!” — Dennis (Alec Baldwin), The Spongebob Squarepants Movie
18) “Young fool. Only now, at the end, do you understand!” — Emperor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid), Return of the Jedi
19) “Where are we man?” “Equador.” – Jones (Michael Winslow) and Mahoney (Steve Gutenberg), Police Academy
21) “See you in hell.” “Send me a postcard.” – Unknown CIA Agent and Matt Hunter (Chuck Norris), Invasion U.S.A.
22) “Inconceivable!” — Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
23) “YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!” — Gandalf (Ian McKellan), The Fellowship of the Ring
24) “That’s right. I’ve killed women and children. I’ve killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I’m here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned.” — William Munny (Clint Eastwood), Unforgiven
25) “It’s amazing that brain can generate enough power to keep those legs moving.” — Lex Luthor (Gene Hackman), Superman
26) “That is the sound of inevitability. That is the sound of your death. Goodbye, Mr. Anderson.” — Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving), The Matrix
27) “You missed! How could you miss him, he was three feet from you?!” — Mushu (Eddie Murhphy), Mulan
28) “I know you’ll come carry me out to the Palace of Winds. That’s what I’ve wanted: to walk in such a place with you…The lamp has gone out and I’m writing in the darkness.” — Katharine Clifton (Kristin Scott Thomas), The English Patient
30) “I hate you MORE! If hate were people, I’d be China!” — Phil (Daniel Stern), City Slickers
31) “How the hell do you fight a war in this shit? I don’t know where they are…I don’t even know where I am. I can’t see dick. It’s like hunting with Ray Charles.” — Adrian Cronour (Robin Williams), Good Morning, Vietnam
32) “Annihilate! Kill! Kill!” — General Decker (Rod Steiger), Mars Attacks!
33) “You want some more?” — Bartender Robot, The Fifth Element
35) “Forgiveness is between them and God. It’s my job to arrange the meeting.” — Creasy (Denzel Washington), Man on Fire
36) “Puny God!” — Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), The Avengers
37) “No, see, this is a really shit idea. You know why? Because it’s really OBVIOUSLY a shit idea!” — Jim (Cillian Murphy), 28 Days Later
38) “You made a goddamn vampire…Pomeranian?” — Hannibal King (Ryan Reynolds), Blade: Trinity
40)“I’m in Hell. Connecticut is the Fifth Ring of Hell.” — Gus (Denis Leary), The Ref
41) “Jack, you’re a grown man. You’re in control of your own words.” “You’re goddamn right I am. Now here come two words for you: Shut the fuck up.” — Jonathan Mardukas (Charles Grodin) and Jack Walsh (Robert Deniro), Midnight Run
43) “Stop all the God-damn yellin’! I know what I’m doing!” “Not even God knows what you’re doing!” — John McClane (Bruce Willis) and Zeus Carver (Samuel L. Jackson), Die Hard With A Vengeance
44)“Fuck you – FUCK YOU! I’m fucking dying, here…I’m fucking dying!” — Mr. Orange (Tim Roth), Reservoir Dogs
45) “These tracks are just a few days old.” “What are you, Pocahontas?” — Leonard (Guy Pierce) and Teddy (Joe Pantoliano), Memento
46)“I snap my fingers again and some time tomorrow, you emerge from several canine rector. Or you and Toto can return to the land of Oz. Questions?” “Yeah, two of them. Why am I wasting my time with a silly putz like you when I could be doing something really dangerous – like organizing my sock drawer? Two, how exactly are you going to snap your fingers, after I break off both of your thumbs?” — Benedict (Charles Dance) and Jack Slater (Arnold Schwarzeneggar), Last Action Hero
47) “Do you think God lives in Heaven because He too lives in fear of what He created?” — Dr. Romero (Steve Buscemi), Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams
49)“If there is to be a brave new world, our generation will have the hardest time adapting.” — Chancellor Gorkon (David Warner), Stark Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
50) “I can Barely move my legs! / Do me a favor and kill me now! / Something, Something rhymes with “legs”! / My life is over anyhow!” — Sgt. Bilko (Steve Martin), Sgt. Bilko